Saturday, January 19, 2013

Rescue Ponies

Today was my second time visiting the thrift stores for vintage toys. My first stop was the local salvation army, which turned out to have nothing. I was a bit discouraged, but in the words of another thrift store hunter I thought that no toy was looking to be found here. So I left and decided to stop at one other thrift store on my way to run errands. I was happy to see the Pikachu tooth brush holder I saw last week had found a home. When I got to the toy section I noticed that nothing had really changed. Everything I remember from last week was still there. This place bags all their small toys, so you pay a dollar or two and get a nice grab bag full of goodies. So I was browsing through the bags, preparing some kind of excuse in case someone asked why I am sifting through children's toys. And then I saw it, buried in a bag of Mcdonalds toys I saw the yellow face of a pony. I tried not to squeak with delight! I was able to move the contents in the bag around and see the face clearer. Yup, it must be from the 80's, I thought. So I grabbed my bag and checked out! 
Once in the car I ripped open the bag and set aside the plastic hello kitty, Strawberry Shortcake from 2011, the other toys, and found my pony. The hoof said 1987 so I was overjoyed. Her hair needed a good wash, and she had some markings on her back, but otherwise she looked good. Whoever had bagged these threw in a new pony too. I wasn't thrilled to own a G4 pony, but after a hair wash, she's growing on me too. After visiting Ghost of the Doll I found out she is a Year 6 Peek a  Boo Baby Pony called "Baby Snippy". Once I got back home I gave her a good bath, and a new hair 'do. I think her tail needs to be re-curled, but I am so happy with how she turned out. Her friend pony "Fluttershy" looks pretty nice too.


Baby Snippy


Baby Snippy and her friend Fluttershy

2 comments:

  1. The G4s grew on me a bit too...though over time, I decided to sell most of them off. Fluttershy is definitely my favorite, though!

    Nice finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are cute! I wish the G3s were still sold in stores, since I like them a bit better. Fluttershy is so cute I couldn't resist. Pinky Pie is also growing on me :)

    ReplyDelete